The iPhone users were very happy when iOS 12 was released. This is because the users of iOS wants to access some new features and functions that was not available before.
But for some iPhone users, this new released OS was not good as after upgrading iPhone to iOS 12.2/12.1/12, their devices were crashing or freezing.
Now this issue is not only with you and with me but lots of users have reported about it. This situation is really very shocking and unexpected as Apple devices are loved from beginning. Its not a long time that Apple has released iOS 12 for users.
But if the problem occurs on your phone then don’t worry, this blog will help you to get rid of the issue. Here you will know how to fix iPhone keeps freezing after iOS 12.2 update.
So let’s start…
- iTunes Not Recognizing iPhone? The Actual Reasons Behind and How To Fix (iPhone XR/XS/XS Max Supported)
- iPhone Got Bricked?- 5 Methods To Fix And Recover Data From Bricked iPhone
- iPhone Deleting Messages By Itself After iOS 12 Update- Effective Methods To Recover Deleted Messages From iPhone XR/XS/XS Max
Reasons why iPhone keeps freezing after iOS 12.2 update?
Well, there can be several scenarios that can make iPhone freezing after iOS 12 update. Some of them are:
- The installation process failed due to some reason
- Several apps are running on device that affects its process
- iOS 12 update might have got corrupted
- Any kind of software conflict issue might have stopped your device function
- You have used beta release for your device
- Not having free space on iPhone
After going through the reasons for the issue, now its time to know what are the ways that can help you to solve iPhone keeps freezing after iOS 12.2 update.
What are the ways to fix iPhone keeps freezing and crashing after iOS 12.2 update?
Generally, when an iPhone freezes then it becomes very difficult to access the device and cannot make calls, do any kind of own or business related tasks. But there are also several ways that can help you to overcome the situation.
So let’s go through the solutions:
Directly jump to Content
Solution 1: Force restart your device
This is a very simple and one of the best ways to get rid of the problem you are coming across especially when iPhone freezes without any reason after iOS 12.2 update.
So, before going for any other method to fix the error, you should force restart your iPhone and this may solve your problem.
- For iPhone 7 or latest version, simply press and hold Power + Volume Down button to restart it
- For iPhone older than iPhone 7, only you have to press and hold Power + Home When phone screen becomes black then release it. Again, press Power button unless Apple logo appears.
Solution 2: Update the apps on iPhone to latest version
Whenever you upgrade your device to latest iOS 12 version then the apps on your phone are still old and some might don’t support the latest OS. This can create a severe problem and to get rid of it, you should update all your apps to its latest version.
You can simply go to App Store and check which apps require updates to solve freezing issue on iPhone. Click on “Update All” and after this, your phone might work normal.
Solution 3: Reset all settings
Going through this step will make your entire iPhone settings to normal. Whatever settings you have changed will be removed but your data will be safe.
So when your iPhone keeps freezing after iOS 12.2 update then try to reset all settings on iPhone as this can help you to solve the problem.
- First, go to Settings > General > select Reset. And then click on ‘Reset All Settings’ option
- Here you have to enter passcode to move ahead and after that, your iPhone settings will be completely changed and will be restored to factory settings.
Solution 4: Restore iPhone to DFU mode using iTunes
Whenever you face any kind off issue on iPhone then officially there is a fix for it via iTunes. iPhone screen not working or freezing can be solved when you restore iPhone into DFU mode with help of iTunes.
Though the process is not easy to follow but going through the steps properly can help you to solve freezing problem on iPhone. Also advised to backup all your data previous to this step and then follow the below steps:
- First, download and install latest iTunes version on computer
- Then connect your phone to PC via USB cable
- Now launch iTunes and put your iPhone into DFU mode. Simply press and hold Power + Home button for 5 seconds and then release Power button but continue holding Home button
- For iPhone 7 and earlier, hold Power + Volume Down button at same time for 5 seconds. Then leave the Power button but continue holding Volume Down button
- After this, iTunes will detect iPhone in DFU mode. Then tap on OK button and go to main interface. After that, go to “Summary” to move ahead to final step
- At last, tap on ‘Restore iPhone’ button and then on “Restore when warning notification appears”
- iCloud Music Library Cannot Be Enabled- Here is How To Fix [iOS 12 Supported]
- iPhone Keeps Restarting Itself After iOS 12 Update- Learn Effective Solutions To Fix It
Solution 5: Downgrade your iPhone to iOS 11.4
There is also a way to fix iPhone keeps crashing or freezing issue by downgrading the iOS version to 11.4. But this process is not simple as upgrading but can help you to get out of the issue. Even this method can delete your data and settings from phone.
Therefore, it is suggested to backup all your crucial data before downgrading. iOS 11.4 is the last version before iOS 12 was released, so you should downgrade with this version.
Follow the below steps:
Step 1: Before you move ahead, ensure Find My iPhone service is switched off. Simply go to iCloud settings > Find My iPhone and turn it off. There enter phone’s passcode to confirm and if you wish then you can also disable by going to iCloud’s website
Step 2: After this, download IPSW file of iOS 11.4 that is compatible with your device. For that, you need to go to this website and download the correct file for your iPhone
Step 3: When its done, connect your device to PC via USB cable and the launch iTunes. Here select your iPhone from list of connected devices and go its Summary
Step 4: Then hold Shift key for Windows or Options + Command keys for Mac during tapping on “Restore iPhone” button
Step 5: Doing this will launch browser on window and from here, you can easily browse saved IPSW file to open it
After doing all these steps, wait for some time as iTunes will load and restore your device to iOS 11.4. Ensure your device is connected to PC during the process
Solution 6: Check storage of device
As I have already discussed that due to less memory space, the iPhone may keeps freezing or crashing, so you should get rid of it by making space on your iPhone.
For that, you need to go to Settings > General > Usage and then check the memory status. If your device don’t have sufficient space then the issue might be due to this also.
So try to free up some space on your phone and get the things going smoothly without any problem.
Solution 7: Contact Apple Support team
At last, when the above steps don’t work for you then its better to take your device to nearest Apple Support center or even you can call them for help. There may be something has damaged like battery damaged or others.
So, you should work immediately on such situation and take your device to local store.
Solution 8: How to fix iPhone keeps freezing after iOS 12.2 update without data loss (Recommended)
After upgrading your iPhone to iOS 12.2/12 and you come across freezing or crashing issue then it is highly recommended to use iOS System Repair. This is a professional tool to fix any kind of issues that occur on iPhone like iPhone keeps freezing/crashing issue, iPhone screen not working, stuck on Apple Logo, iPhone bootloop, iPhone stuck on White Screen/ Black Screen of death and several others.
This amazing software easily fixes every kind of error that comes to iPhone/iPad. Below are the steps you need to follow after you Download iOS System Repair tool to fix iPhone keeps freezing after iOS 12.2 update.
Steps to follow to solve crashing issue on iPhone
Step 1: Connect your iOS device
First launch iOS System Recovery and then select ‘Repair’ option
After that, connect your iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch) to your PC via USB cable. When the software detects your device then click on “Start” to continue the process.
After that, it will display the device information like model name, system version, baseband version etc and then click on Next to continue.
Step 2: Boot your iOS device in DFU mode
If you face problem in your iOS device that it is not functioning normally then the software will remind you to boot the device in DFU mode. After that follow the instructions to boot your idevice in DFU mode.
- First power off your iPhone
- Press and hold Volume down button and power button all together for 10 seconds
- Now release the power button but hold Volume down button until DFU mode comes on the device
Steps to boot other devices in DFU mode:
- Switch off your iPhone.
- After that press and hold, the Power button and Home button together for 10 seconds.
- Now release the Power button but hold the Home button until the device is in DFU mode.
Step 3: Select and download the firmware
If you want a successful recovery then select the correct model and firmware and after that click on Download.
As the firmware is large so it may take some time to download completely. In between, you make sure that network is good. If you face any trouble in downloading firmware then you can simply click on Copy to download the firmware from Apple official site and select to restore download firmware.
Step 4: Fix iOS to normal status
After the download is finished, click on “Fix Now” to begin repairing your iOS and make your device to work normally again.
At last, when the entire process completes, your iOS devices will restart into normal mode as usual. If the device does not boot normally then click on Try Again to start the process.
Bonus tip: How to avoid iPhone Freezing issue after iOS update
There is a chance to come with several issues on iPhone while upgrading. So, to avoid all such situation, you need to follow some precautions that can help you in future.
- Avoid exposing your device to hot temperature because this may lead to malfunctioning of the device.
- Create a backup of your important data on regular basis
- Always maintain the space on your device and check its not full
- Also ensure your device software and the apps are up to date
Well in this technical world, there is a chance to come with several issues on iPhone that you cannot expect. However, iPhone freezing or crashing issue can occur to any iPhone users and one should be careful and have enough knowledge to handle the situation.
In this blog, I have tried to solve out the problem many iPhone users were coming across and hope following those solutions will help to get rid of the issue.
Further, if you have any suggestion or queries then don’t forget to mention them in the below comment section.