It is irritating and an annoying situation when your iPhone connected to Wi-Fi but not working, right?
Over the past few years, people have been continuously reporting about such issue where they come across “WiFi connected but no Internet” on their iPhone.
Unfortunately, there is not a single fix for this issue. However, even not the same reason every time for the error that your iPhone say wifi connected but not working.
So if you are also experiencing the same error message then sit silent and go through this blog completely.
Here I am going to give you some troubleshooting ideas to fix iPhone Wi-Fi connected but not working issue.
But before you jump to the solutions, you should also know the causes for it.
So let’s move ahead…
Reason For iPhone Connected To Wi-Fi But Not Working
When such kind of issue occurs then you have to check two places- the router and the device you are using.
The problem from router end includes:
- May be internet cable that is plugged with router is having issue like damage or cracked
- Buggy device firmware or may be wireless infrastructure is old
- The signal strength might be poor
- Even several people connected to same Wi-Fi connection can also be the problem
The problem from device end is:
- May be the Airplane mode is enabled on iPhone/iPad
- The device is very far from router
- A software bug is yet another possible cause
- Might be connection is slow many times
- The router or modem might be another issue or even iPhone’s antenna
What Are The Solutions For iPhone Wi-Fi Connected But Not Working
Here I am going to provide you some of the best ways to deal with iPhone 5 wifi connected but not working, iPhone 6 connected to wifi but not working or other issues on your iPhone.
So let’s walk through the solutions:
Method 1: Restart Your iPhone
The very first method that is very common to deal with iPhone connected to Wi-Fi but no internet or other error is by restarting your iPhone. It has the ability to fix several small glitches that comes to your device.
- Simply press and hold Sleep/Wake button
- Then drag “Slide to power off” to switch off your iPhone
- When your phone is turned off, now press and hold sleep/wake button to turn it on
NOTE– The restarting process may differ according to iPhone models.
Method 2: Reboot Modem and Router
After restarting your iPhone, you should also restart your modem and router once. Many of the users don’t remember this small thing and they skip it.
But this is also an important process to do when you come across such issues. It is very helpful and many times, it can solve the error you are coming across.
Method 3: Update to Latest Version of iOS
Many times when your device is not updated to its latest version, then also coming across such error messages is a common thing.
So you should whether your iPhone requires any new update as Apple releases updates for the iPhone models.
Whenever you face difficulty in connecting to Wi-Fi or some other problem, then check if your device needs any update on its OS. To check for software update, follow the below steps:
- First, go to Settings > click on General
- Now click on Software Update
- If any update is available then it will display on iPhone screen. Click on Download and Install
Method 4: Turn off Wi-Fi Assist
Wi-Fi Assist is very helpful especially when your Wi-Fi connection is poor and you want to switch to mobile data. So once you should try to switch it off and check whether everything is fine.
Follow the below steps:
- First, go to Settings > Mobile Data
- Now move down and turn off Wi-Fi Assist
Method 5: Turn on Airplane Mode
Airplane mode is a useful option in several ways but also remember that enabling it blocks the network connectivity of your device.
But many times, turning on can solve Wi-Fi issues on iPhone.
So once, you should do this by opening control center and then click on Airplane Mode icon. This will enable it, wait for few seconds and again disable it.
Method 6: Forget Wi-Fi Network
Forgetting Wi-Fi network is also an useful way to get rid of iPhone Wi-Fi connected but not working. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- First, open Settings on your iPhone > click on Wi-Fi option
- Now click on network name
- Then on “Forget This Network”
After this, you will get a popup saying: Forget Wi-Fi Network “Network Name”
- Now click on Forget
Again when you wish to rejoin, enter the password again. And then check if the error is fixed or not.
Method 7: Turn Off Location Services For Wi-Fi Networking
As per users review, turning off location service for Wi-Fi networking has solved the issue, so you should also try it by following the below steps:
- First, go to Settings > click on Privacy
- Then click on Location Services
- Now press System services
- After that, turn off Wi-Fi networking
Now check if the issue you are coming across is resolved or not.
Method 8: Turn The Bluetooth Off
If your iPhone’s Bluetooth is turned on then also your iPhone say wi-fi connected but not working message. This is because Bluetooth can interfere with Wi-Fi connections.
So whenever your connect your device to Wi-Fi then ensure Bluetooth is turned off. This can be done by going to Settings > General > turn it off.
Method 9: Use Google DNS
You might don’t know but all Wi-Fi networks configure DNS automatically by default. But many times if you change OpenDNS or Google DNS then it helps to solve the error.
For that, you have to follow the below steps as mentioned:
- First, go to Settings and click on Wi-Fi
- Now click on Wi-Fi network that is creating problem
- Here you have to click on Configure DNS and select Manual
- Then erase entry under DNS servers and enter Google DNS i.e., 18.104.22.168. After that, enter 22.214.171.124 by clicking on Add Server. Even you can use OpenDNS numbers: 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52
After doing all these changes, now check if everything is working fine.
Method 10: Reset Network Settings
In addition to fixes, you can also try to reset network settings. Doing this will reset network connections like Wi-Fi, mobile data etc.
To reset network settings, here are the steps:
- Step 1: Go to Settings and click on General
- Step 2: Then move down and click on Reset > Reset Network Settings
That’s it. This may solve your problem as everything gets reset from beginning.
Method 11: Update Router Firmware
If your iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi but no internet connection then you should once update the router to fix the issue. For this, you have to search the model and version number first. This can be found in the device box or in manual.
Even you can find the model and version number on router itself. After that, go to manufacturer’s official website and check for download section. Then download and install the firmware.
If you don’t know on how to do this then follow the guide on manufacturers official website.
Method 12: Update The Software Using iTunes
Even you can update your device software via iTunes when simply software fails to update. But before that, ensure you have the latest iTunes version installed.
Here are the steps:
- First, connect your iPhone to computer
- Then launch iTunes and choose your iPhone
- Then tap on Summary
- Now tap on Check for Update
- If any new version is available then simply tap on Download and install or just click on Update
Method 13: Contact Apple For Support
When nothing goes on your way after following the above methods, then only one option left and that is contacting Apple Support team. Contacting the team may help you to fix iPhone connected to wi-fi but no internet.
If any hardware problem is there then they can better suggest you to deal with it. Otherwise, you can also take your iPhone to nearest Apple Store so that professionals can check it properly and deal with the issue.
Well, many users have reported about iPhone connected to Wi-Fi but no internet connection and its really annoying. However, if you come across the issue then hopefully after following all the above solutions, you will get rid of it.
Further, if you have any suggestions or queries then don’t forget to mention them in below comment.