Generally, many iPhone users have reported that they were facing iTunes error 4005 while updating their devices. So let us know about it and how to fix the error without any problem.
About iTunes Error 4005 (iPhone Error 4005)
iTunes error 4005 also known as iPhone error 4005 is one of the annoying error while restoring or updaring iPhone to iTunes. It completely means that your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch cannot be restored and it cannot be identified.
However, to fix the problem, there are ways by which the iTunes error can be solved. But before that, let us look at some of the common reasons behind iPhone error 4005.
Reasons behind iTunes error 4005 (iPhone error 4005)
- Due to iOS system problems on your iDevices
- iCloud is not turned off properly and the device is not restored
- Due to virus infection
- iTunes is not installed properly
- iTunes related program files gets corrupted
- USB connection problems
- Due to old version of iTunes or computer
Apart from these, there are several causes, which can lead to such unexpected error on your iPhone/iPad.
Now what to do and how to fix iTunes error 4005?
“I tried to restore my iPhone today from my iTunes backup which I made before jail breaking. iTunes places the phone in the recovery mode and begins the process however it seems to hang on ‘waiting for iPhone’ the phone screen turns black. After about 15 minutes it reports that iPhone could not be restored with an iTunes error 4005. Can anyone point me in the right direction here?”
Best solutions to fix iTunes error 4005 while you restore iPhone
You might have searched the entire internet for best solutions to fix iTunes error 4005. If you have not got the perfect solution then here you will have the best fixes to solve the iTunes error. Go through them one by one and I am sure, they will work effectively.
Solution 1: Restart your iPhone and computer
The first method is a simple one, which is easy to follow. Simply restarting your device will help you to get out of the situation.
So to restart your iPhone:
- First press and hold Sleep/Wake buttons together until red slider occurs
- Now drag the slider off
- After the device is switched off completely, press Sleep/Wake button again until Apple logo appears
Even if you restart your computer, it will help you to solve the problem. And you better know how to restart your computer.
Solution 2: Check USB ports
Generally, iTunes error occurs due to damage in hardware connections and so iTunes error 4005 is also same. It means that there is no proper connection between both devices or not able to communicate with. So it is suggested to check the USB port once.
Try to fix the USB port by connecting your phone to different computer or you can also check by changing the USB port. Just check that works well and if not then move to methods.
Solution 3: Install latest version of iTunes
The problem you come across is also due to the old version of iTunes on your computer. But updating it can solve the problem and everything is done easily. Updating iTunes will make your work easy. If you don’t know how to check for updates then simply go to help menu and search for ‘Check for updates’.
After this your computer will check for the latest iTunes version is installed or not against latest version on Apples server. If any update is available then within few clicks, the update will be processed and iTunes will be up to date.
Solution 4: Restart iTunes
Sometimes simply restarting iTunes can be a helpful technique to get rid of the problem. As when some registry and file management error iTunes are solved through restarting, in the same way, restarting iTunes when it shows error 4005 is also helpful to fix the error.
Solution 5: Check the battery
Many times your device does not have enough battery and it is in the low state. The reason is where your iPhone lacks power that may cause iTunes error 4005. So ensure to make your device charge fully.
Solution 6: Put your iPhone into DFU mode
To solve iTunes error 4005, simply rebooting your iPhone or doing a hard reset can solve the problem or you can put your phone into DFU mode.
But the risk part with this step is that everything might get deleted or might something go wrong. This can be helpful when your phone gets dropped on water, or some other thing that stops your device to restore it.
But if your device is able to take the risk of doing DFU restore then you can take the risk further. However, follow the below steps to put your device into DFU mode.
- First, connect your iPhone to computer via USB cable. No matter your phone is switched on or off, simply launch itunes after that.
- After that, press and hold Sleep/Wake + Home button together up to 10 seconds
- Now you have to release the Sleep/Wake button but continue holding Home button until it shows a message “iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode”
- After this, release the Home button
- When your iPhone enters into DFU mode, your device will turn black and if it is not black then try again and begin the steps from beginning.
- Now restore your iPhone using iTunes. Now you can see that your iPhone is coming into normal mode as it was before.
Solution 7: Update the computer OS
If your computer OS is not up to date then also there is a chance to get error 4005. Outdated OS is one of the common problem that you can face on your device. Even older iTunes version will not be able to work with out of date OS software.
- Furst go to Mac App Store
- Then click on Updates
- If any new version is available then follow the prompt to download and install
- Open Apple Menu
- Now go to Software Update and install available updates
- Tap on Start Button
- Type Update in the search box
- At last, click Windows Update among the given results
That’s all I have for you that can help you to fix iTunes error 4005. Follow those methods properly and solve the error you are getting on your device. It is recommended to follow those methods one by one and look for the one that works for you.