Nowadays, it is common for several Android users that they are coming across Screen Overlay Detected problem on their devices.
This has especially seen on those devices who are having Android Marshmallow version. This is an annoying problem and users are looking to solve such error.
But before going to any solution to fix the error, you should also know what is Screen Overlay detected error and what are the reasons for it?
Contents in the Blog
What is Screen Overlay Detected?
Screen Overlay Detected is one of the irritating error that occurs mostly on devices support Marshmallow version.
This error occurs when you try to install any new applications on your Android device where you have to allow some permission like contacts, camera, storage etc.
In this process of allowing permission, if screen overlay of few applications are active then you will come across a sudden popup message stating “Screen Overlay Detected”.
This will stop you from moving further unless you switch off overlay screen option of the applications.
Most of the Android applications have Screen Overlay feature as an important one as it enables any application to occur at the top of other applications.
According to Marshmallow Android terms and policies, the Screen Overlay of the entire apps should be turned off at the time of requesting permission from users.
It completely means that when you get such error on your device then it will stop certain apps to launch that makes the Android device useless. But its not difficult to fix the issue, however some of the reasons lead to such error.
Reasons behind Screen Overlay Detected
- If you have installed Clean Master App on your device then you may come across such error. This can be solve if you force stop Clean Master App at the time of installing any new application.
- Those apps, which are installed to ‘Boost’ phone performance lead to Screen Overlay problem. The solution for this is to force stop the app
- Many Android users come across Screen overlay detected because of ES File Explorer
- Power consumption app can also be the reason for screen overlay detected.
- DU Battery Saver App and DU Speed Booster can lead to such error on your device
Devices that face Screen Overlay problems
Screen Overlay Detected generally occurs especially on those Android devices which are on Marshmallow version. Some of the devices which includes Marshmallow are OnePlus, Redmi, Samsung, Oppo, Lenovo, Vivo and several other.
However if you see then every devices have different settings of configuration but you can get only one solution for all Android devices.
But before that, let us see why such error occurs on Android devices and its solution.
Why Screen Overlay Detected error occurs on Android devices?
While you try to install any app on your Android devices supporting Marshmallow OS then you might have noticed some popups, which asks for permission like Storage, Contacts, Recordings etc.
Whenever any active screen overlay feature of the particular app is seen then you can come across a popup saying ‘screen overlay detected’.
This will continue unless you disable the feature of the app. Therefore, it is important to apply some permanent solutions so that you don’t have to worry about such error anytime further
How to turn off screen overlay on Android
Here you will know how to turn off screen overlay of the entire apps along with system apps and after doing this, the error of screen overlay detected will not occur.
This process is different for Samsung users which you will get in the below paragraph.
So, follow the below steps to turn off screen overlay on any Android devices:
- First, open Settings on your Android phone
- Now scroll down to Apps section
- Now tap on Three Dots that you will get on right corner of your phone
- Then select Draw over other Apps
- Again, click on three dots and choose Show System Apps
- Here you will get the list of the apps with system apps whose Screen Overlay is active
- At last, turn off the screen overlay of the entire apps
So finally, you have disabled Screen Overlay of the entire apps and now you will not face such error again. If you want for Facebook Messenger to use its feature of chat head then you can turn on manually.
Ways to switch off Screen Overlay problem on Samsung Device
Many Samsung users want to know how to turn off screen overlay on Samsung. For them, here are the steps as follow:
- First, open Settings
- After that, tap on Apps and select Application Manager option
- Now click on More option from the right corner
- Here choose Apps that appear on Top
- Again tap on More option and choose Show System Apps
- All the list of applications will be listed of active Screen Overlay
- Here turn off the screen overlay of those entire apps selectively
After following all the steps, now you have successfully disabled screen overlay on your Samsung devices.
Best Solutions to fix ‘Screen Overlay Detected’ error on Android
Method 1: Find out apps
First, you have to search those apps who have permission to draw over the screen. If you are not a Samsung user then follow the below steps:
- First open Settings
- Click on magnifying glass on top right
- Now enter ‘draw’ on search
- Click on Draw over the apps
- Alternative route: Apps> [gear icon] > Draw over other apps
For Samsung users:
- Open the Settings
- Then Applications > Application manager
- Press on More > Apps that can appear on top
Method 2: Check app permissions
You should find the list of apps which have permission to use screen overlays or floating buttons. After that you have look for the app that is creating problem and temporarily reject the permission to draw over screen.
See the below points to recognize the app, which is creating a problem:
- If you see an app bubble on screen it means that, the problem lies there. So now, you have to think whether to hide that app bubble or disable it from the list
- Clean Master app can create problem so its better to disable it
- If any of the app you have installed and it changes color on display then it can be the culprit for the problem
- When you don’t get anything then disabling every app is the best
Method 3: Reinstall the app again
After disabling the apps, you can try them to launch again and should requests permissions without “Screen overlay detected” error coming in between.
Samsung users have also several problems like on one-handed keyboard settings that can cause the problem. So its better to deactivate it by going to Settings > Advanced features > One-handed operation.
Method 4: Use Safe mode
When all the above steps fail to fix the problem then last method is to use ‘safe mode’ and fix the issue. It is an Android feature that manages the app permissions. But using this app requires you to know the app that is creating problem.
Then follow the below steps as mentioned:
- Press power button of your phone
- Now press and hold “Power Off” option
- You will get another popup after few seconds asking to enable “Safe Mode”
- Now select “OK” and then your device will reboot in Safe Mode.
- After phone is switched on, go to Settings > Apps
- Scroll down, search the app that shows problem of screen overlay, and then select it
- Now on the app page, choose “Permissions”
- Here you have to enable all permissions that the app was previously asking
- Once it is finished, reboot your device
Apart from this, few app causes can lead to Android Screen Overlay Detected error. Let us see some of the common apps that users generally install on their devices but those apps really create havoc for the users.
Some apps include:
- DU Speed Booster
- UC Browser
- Clean Master
- 360 Security
- ES Explorer
If you have installed any one of the mentioned apps and coming across the error then it is suggested to uninstall those apps and if they have any alternative then install those.
How To Fix Screen Overlay Detected On WhatsApp
There are many users who want to know how to fix screen overlay detected on WhatsApp/Facebook/Instagram or any other social networking sites.
If the situation is with WhatsApp then you have to turn all permissions of WhatsApp and this will solve the issue further.
Here are the steps on How do I enable permissions on WhatsApp:
- First, open Settings
- Then move down to Apps or Application Manager
- Now tap on WhatsApp or the app in which Screen Overlay Detected error was occurring
- After that, tap on Permissions
- Then enable all permissions of WhatsApp
And after doing all these changes, now its possible that you will not come across Screen Overlay Detected WhatsApp.
If you ever face screen overlay detected Oppo or screen overlay detected Huawei P30 pro then don’t forget to switch off all permissions of that particular app and you will not face any problem further.
Screen overlay detected error solution (App related solutions)
Well, there are few apps that works effectively to solve the error on Android. Follow the apps as you can download them from Google play store easily to fix the problem.
App 1: Install Alert Window checker
This app also does the same thing like Button Unlocker. It checks any apps is using screen overlay detected. With the use of Alter Window Checker screen, you can disable any app by drawing over app permission.
Simply Download Alter Window Checker from play store and after installing the app, simply run it and find the apps by using Draw over apps permission.
App 2: Install Button Unlocker
This app is known to solve Android error that users come across. Using this app unlocks install button locked because of screen overlay detected error. Follow the steps below:
- First, download Button Unlocker from Google play store
- Now install the app and then launch it
- Click on Slider and then Activate the app
- Now from Accessibility Screen, click on “Install Button Unlocker” and then enable it
- In the same time, enable “Permit drawing over other apps” option
Well, Android users generally face some or the other problems on their devices and ‘Screen Overlay Detected’ are yet another problem. However, there are ways to overcome this problem and I have mentioned some of the best way to deal with the situation.
Hopefully all the methods are effective and they will help you to solve the problem on your Android devices easily.